Saturday, August 7, 2010

My Dad feeding me around August of 1955 at a cabin we rented in Santa Cruz
I have been soaked into the world of the past since Belinda brought me the photos I posted yesterday. In looking for answers to the print of the WWI soldier, I got sucked into the vortex of ancestry. My husband Mark said he would like to have the history of his family - looking for our roots, I suppose.
So now I am a card carrying member of ancestry.com and have spent the last day and a half transported to census records, birth, marriage, divorce and newspaper clippings from the early 1900s and late 1800s. I have looked at immigration records and squinted my eyes at the ledger books for census logs and birth records. My shoulder is aching but still I persevere.
His grandmother actually did a genealogy search on her mother's family dating back to Jedediah Smith. It is archived in Utah with the LDS. I am researching how to get a copy.
However, her father's side are the Davis' which should go to Scotland and the Davidson's of Tulloch. The castle still stands and has been made into a hotel complete with a 5 star restaurant. I would love to stay there sometime but probably will need to win a big lotto pot to do this.
This all has me backing up my own family tree and adding to the one that cousin Cecil did for us. I think this is a necessary document for all families to know about beginnings. As such a record could stand to have accurate health information so you know where you stand with the choices of living and dieing.
Regardless, it is all very interesting stuff and I have always loved a puzzle.

On a totally separate note, I am seriously contemplating admitting a photo to a contest in the magazine I read, Shutterbug. This next month's challenge is GRAFFITI, Emily is helping me spot the 'good stuff; and has even suggested an 'tag artist' to model for me while he performs his art. This should be fun. Keep up with the blog and find out how I do with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment