Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Tribute to a Lovely Lady

Life has been strange lately. There has been a lot of death around us. My daughter went to a funeral last week for a young girl who was taken prematurely in an auto accident on the same day as another young person she knew. Older folks have been checking out too. I don't know if it is coincidence or the alignment of the planets but it seems like there have been too many for any one month.
Last week, a friend, a mother of one of my motorcycle sisters, contracted a severe infection and only survived 3 days from it. She was a lovely lady. She worked hard to come back from a tumultuous life to counsel others in strife. She was always happy when I saw her. Always had a compliment at the ready to make me feel good about myself. I can't lie here, she was kind of a pain in the butt when playing poker, but that was also an endearing quality.
I therefore dedicate this post to Glo. "Nana" was the name most called her. We went to a party just two weeks ago to celebrate her 70th birthday. Her kids, grown now, all came together to do a photo shoot with her before her celebration. It was the first time they had all been together in some 14 years, I heard. Of course, there was a poker game - we can't get together without playing - and we had a great evening. She showed no sign of illness in my mind, just Glo in her glory, enjoying all the friends and especially family around her. Of course we were all family to her. I wished her a very happy birthday and she responded with a big hug and told me the same. We sometime shared birthday dinners as we were so close in our dates. I will miss you Glo. Rest in Peace. The cycle of life is not to be beaten.
Glo's glamor shot.
The following photos of her were from my files for the last 10 years as well as from her daughter Trina's facebook album.

Glo and family. This was taken at her son-in-law, Chris' birth-
day part at the Sheraton Hotel. 

Superbowl Sunday at a friend's house. 






























Glo and Trina. Taken just recently, this is part of the photo shoot the family did for Glo's birthday.

Glo and her kids from the photoshoot.

If you get internet in Heaven, Glo, look up my mom. You two would love each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment