Friday, July 22, 2011

What do you think of Crepes?

I made a dish tonight and invited friends over for dinner. It was an incredibly wonderful evening on the deck and dinner was equally good. I think this recipe came from my sister Theresa. I remember that things like Fondue and Crepes were kind of a '70's thing. I had a crepe maker back in the day. It traveled with us to Montana and the last time I can remember making this particular dinner was up there. Then I lost track of the crepe maker. Really just an electrical inverted pan. You dip it in the crepe batter and flip it and let it cook ... peel it off and then drop it onto a plate and make another one.
The filling is what makes the dish. One pound each crab meat (the real stuff) and one pound shrimp meat (bay shrimp). I will post the recipe below but you have to know there is no way to describe the richness of this dish. It melts on your tongue with secret little flavors slipping around the creamy sauce with each bite. Do I sound like I like this? Yeah...but I would not even try to count the calories! So here ya go... try it and fall in love!

Crab and Shrimp Crepes

The Crepe:
2 eggs
2 tbs melted butter or oil (I use olive oil)
1 1/3 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt

Beat with a rotary egg beater or electric mixer till smooth or use a blender - this works great and you can pour the batter into a pan to dip the crepe iron. If you don't have one, you're on your own. I never could get the hang of the frying pan method

The filling:

2 tbs butter
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 can or 6 oz crab
1 can or 6 oz bay shrimp
1/2 cup Mayo ( I used the olive oil Mayo but always thought plain yogurt would work)
2 tbs pimento
1 tsp curry
1 tsp lemon juice
1 can cream of shrimp soup (10 oz)
1/2 cup milk or Half and Half

Preheat oven 350
Saute onions and celery in butter until tender crisp. Combine remaining ingredients except soup and milk in a bowl. Add celery/onion mixture. Mix well Spoon 1 - 2 tbs into a crepe, roll it up/ Butter a baking dish and lay the crepe in a row. Mix soup with milk and pour over crepes. Bake 15-20 minutes (covered)

This is a very rich dish. I pairs well with a fruit salad and maybe a green salad.

There you have it.... my Crab and Shrimp Crepes recipe. Enjoy! I'm full and ready to head to bed. It's been a long day. Happy Trails, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment